CZECH PAVILION AT WORLD EXHIBITION OF BRUSSELS 1958
Out of 45 participating nations, the Czechoslovakian pavilion was given the Exhibition’s highest award - “The Golden Star” - and 2 major awards for its innovative mixture of modern technology, architectural design and function.
The pavilion was designed BY architects Cubr, Hrubý and Pokorný, in simple form recognizing the content, construction and assembly character of a cygnet-like ground plan. The basic architectural idea behind the plan was the contrast between the glazed “airy” sections and the massive cubes of the pavilion.
The greatest acknowledgement was awarded on the basis of a high evaluation not just for using new techniques in constructing dismountable pavilions (a steel frame) in combination with glass and plastics, but also for the perfect interiors made up of original furniture, works of art and utilitarian objects, which became a portent for the so-called „Brussels Style“.
The Czechoslovakian architects demonstrated to the world that following the ideological inventions of the 1950’s, after the imposition of socialist realism, they were able to establish inter-war Czechoslovakian architecture at a world level.
Main designers - Ing. arch. František Cubr, Ing. arch. Josef Hrubý, Ing. arch. Zdeněk Pokorný
Others - arch. J. Cafourek, arch. J. Čermák, arch. J. Kadoun, arch. A. Kropáček, arch. J. Saal, arch. P. Smetana, arch. J. Svoboda, arch. V. Šimice, arch. F. Tröster